Sajaad Khan is seeking the Labour nomination to be the Police and Crime Commissioner in Cleveland. If you are intending to stand to be Police and Crime Commissioner where you live, you can submit your own Candidate Statement, so get in touch. Others are on the way, and we are looking for 400 words, a photo (of you!) that you have rights to, and preferably an imprint, which will be needed for the formal election period later this year.
I am writing to inform you of my candidacy for the Labour Party nomination for the post of Police and Crime Commissioner for Cleveland.
We can all be proud of the legacy left by the last Labour Government, but we are now witnessing all of our good work being torn apart by the Coalition’s policies. Draconian cuts to public finances and the planned involvement of private companies to usurp the powers of police authorities must be challenged and overturned where possible.
I believe it is important that those with leadership aspirations behave with integrity and honesty. The difficulties currently being encountered by Cleveland Police make it clear that a clean break from the past is needed. A candidate untainted and with a clear perspective of the problems facing the authority is required.
As Police and Crime Commissioner I aim to :-
- Root out the causes of crime and anti-social behaviour.
- Put in place measures to address the flow of drugs and alcohol abuse.
- Protect children and vulnerable adults utilising a multi-agency approach.
- Provide more shelters and support for victims of domestic violence.
- Recognising recession-led crimes such as cyber fraud and scrap metal thefts.
- Press the Government to introduce tougher legislation on repeat offenders.
- Review and rationalise the police authority budget ensuring adequate funding is directed to front line policing.
I have the qualities and attributes required to bring a fresh approach to the authority and therefore hope that you will support me in my nomination.
Councillor Sajaad Khan
Facebook (Councillor Sajaad Khan)