Kashaf Walayat is seeking the Labour nomination to be the Police and Crime Commissioner in South Yorkshire. If you are intending to stand to be Police and Crime Commissioner where you live, you can submit your own Candidate Statement, so get in touch. Others are on the way, and we are looking for 400 words, a photo of you that you have rights to, and preferably an imprint, which will be needed for the formal election period later this year.
I want the citizens of South Yorkshire to feel safe and secure whilst going about their day to day business without fear of crime with the knowledge that justice will be served for criminals.
I strongly believe I am the best Police and Crime Commissioner candidate for South Yorkshire because of the following:
- I have the full range of competencies and senior management hands on experience at a strategic level for improving service delivery, this includes direct responsibility for management of multi-million pound budgets, corporate governance and staff resources.
- Through my extensive experience working within the private and public sectors and community projects. I am able to demonstrate that I have the required strategic, operational, and community experience for this role. I believe I have the necessary breadth and depth of political acumen, sector knowledge and leadership skills to improve organisational performance, connect with the public and ensure a reduction in crime and best quality outcomes for people.
- I care greatly for South Yorkshire and want to ensure all the residents of this area get the greatest benefit possible from the police and criminal justice services. I will fight tirelessly to ensure South Yorkshire gets the best deal.
- Personal – I am married with 4 children, born and educated in Sheffield. Having worked extensively across Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster I am in touch with communities;
- Community Values – I have been an actively involved in community work since the age of 14, trade unionist, former Councillor, area panel chair, school governor, ward officer and charity chair. A trained carer, I understand the needs of vulnerable people and the elderly; I was awarded the OBE for my work with Children and Young people.
- South Yorkshire Police Authority – I was appointed for my professional skills and expertise as an independent member in 2007; having previously served as a Labour member in 1997 I continue to provide that important accountability element in policing;
- Experience – I have over 25 years at senior management level within both public and private sector areas relating to Policing, Education, Housing, Health and Central & Local Government. This experience means I am well qualified to address the tremendous challenges facing the police resulting from the current economic downturn whilst delivering an efficient and effective strategy to reduce crime;
- My Commitment and Determination – as a candidate, I have recently resigned after 25 years service as a senior civil servant with the Department for Education and chair of a housing company so that I can concentrate solely on this campaign.
As Police and Crime Commissioner I will ensure the necessary structures are put in place that enables all local communities to have their input into developing strategies that will create Safer Neighbourhoods, Prevent and Reduce crime. I will actively lead a regional campaign to ensure the message to our young people is “SAY NO TO DRUGS” and look at ways we can reduce anti-social behavior and strengthen neigbourhood policing.
This position is an opportunity for a New Vision with Big Ideas to deal with the Big Challenges facing us.
I hope to be able to explain in far greater detail my plans, policies and strategies in the near future.
Kashaf Walayat OBE
Shortlisted Labour Candidate for Police Commissioner for South Yorkshire