Joy Garner is seeking the Labour nomination to be the Police and Crime Commissioner in Staffordshire. If you are intending to stand to be Police and Crime Commissioner where you live, you can submit your own Candidate Statement, so get in touch at Editor@TopOfTheCops.com – Others are on the way, and we are looking for 400 words, a photo (of you!) that you have rights to, and preferably an imprint, which will be needed for the formal election period later this year.
Police & Crime Commissioners will affect us all in some way. Like many, I opposed their introduction because they will be expensive and there are not enough checks and balances in the system. The money for holding the elections would be better spent on more police officers. But now we have them we must stand up for our communities against the damage the Tories are doing.
I can’t stand aside while cut after cut is made to our police and jobs are being lost and privatised. When Labour left office there were record numbers of police and the chance of being a victim of crime was at its lowest since records began. Those days seem long ago. Under this government over 5,000 police officers have already gone from 999 response and neighbourhood policing teams. As a member of Staffordshire Police Authority I can already see the consequences. Across the whole county there are only 17 police officers under the age of 25.
- I will work to steer our young people away from crime.
- I will resist further cuts to front line policing – the thin blue line must not get thinner.
- I will oppose the privatisation of services.
- The victims of crime must receive the support they need.
- Local people must have a say in how their area is policed.
- The independence of Staffordshire Police should be retained – I will not support mergers with other forces.
- Neighbourhood policing – a Labour achievement – must be protected.
I believe I have the skills and experience to lead an improving police force which is truly accountable to the people of Staffordshire.
Pingback: Joy Garner – Labour’s candidate for Staffordshire Police and Crime Commissioner « Staffordshire Young Labour
Pingback: Definitive List of PCC candidates 2012 | TopOfTheCops.com