My job will be to make the West Midlands the safest place in the country.
I’ve worked with the police for over a decade, representing the public and making policing more transparent. I emphasise integrity, honesty and genuine engagement, including supporting communities and the police to stand up to gangs and organised crime. I consistently listen to the public to understand the real issues we face.
Policing can be difficult and complex, yet I have always been, and always will be open to the public, and will bring you into decision-making. In difficult times my track record shows: I face the public and answer to you.
- Active and respected campaigner against organised crime and street gangs
- First Independent Chairman of West Midlands Police Authority 2009-2012
- Independent Member of West Midlands Police Authority 2001-2012
- Member of National Counter Terrorism Oversight Board
- Chairman, Birmingham Citizens Community Group
- District Bishop of New Testament Church of God responsible for Birmingham and Solihull
- Awarded MBE in 2007 for services to community relations in the West Midlands
- Deputy Lieutenant of the West Midlands
My Commitments to you:
- Protected Communities and Neighbourhoods
- Police Force Efficiency and Stability without Privatisation
- Victims First; Criminals to Pay
- People not Politicians
- Trust and Confidence
- Without Fear or Favour
We expect the police to act without fear or favour, and police leaders should be the same. If a party politician gets elected, they will want to use West Midlands Police for political advantage. I won’t.
As an Independent:
- I have no political agenda. I am not governed and controlled by local or national politicians.
- I will ensure your voice is heard, and challenge the police where necessary, as I have in the past
- I can hold the Chief Constable to account fairly and openly, without turning policing into a political football
- I promise open and transparent decision-making, building on what I’ve already done to enable you to have your say in policing
- I will prioritise the policing you need in your area, and not allow policing to skewed by party politics
- I have built trust, with communities and the police, based on honesty, integrity and genuine engagement